Eat local all year long with The Traveling Jar and Food Preservation Day!
From August 3rd to October 9th, learn food preservation techniques with The Travelling Jar. On October 9, the Sunday before Thanksgiving, we’ll finish off The Travelling Jar tour by celebrating Food Preservation Day!
The Travelling Jar—coming to an IGA near you!
Preserve well, eat well!
Savour delicious local fruits and vegetables on site and get a chance to win a food dehydrator.
kilograms of fruits and vegetables have been preserved!
people have visited our kiosk.
Don’t miss The Travelling Jar
These days it’s easy to eat food from across the globe. That said, eating produce that grows close to home tastes better and is better for the planet! To enjoy local flavours all year long, preservation techniques that have existed for a really long time can be useful. Discover or rediscover these techniques and practice! Here’s to your jars!
Technique 1: Freezing
From one week to several months!
- Water in food turns to ice.
- The cold slows down the chemical reactions that cause food to break down.
- Bacteria in the food go into hibernation (but don’t die!)
Technique 2: Dehydration
Four months to one year!
- The water in the food evaporates.
- Bacteria suffocate and have no place to grow!
- The lower the humidity level, the less likely they are to survive.
Technique 3: Canning
- Cooked foods are heat treated to stop the growth of bacteria and other food-destroying microorganisms.
- The hermetic seal protects the contents by preventing oxygen from getting in.
Follow The Travelling Jar
Put the flavours of summer in a jar and get a chance to win $500 gift card valid at all IGA stores!
Don’t miss the Travelling Jar
Enter your email address and we will send you a reminder a few days before our visit.